Why do parents take their kids to the doctors when they are not really that sick? Is it really necessary to have someone tell you your kid has a cold, drink some fluids and get plenty of rest? Apparently, I am that parent. Because why else would I have spent two hours at the Pediatricians yesterday? I must feel the need for validation. Yes, I was right! You are sick! And now that I have made you sit in this germ infested waiting room filled with screaming, hacking kids for two hours you should have pink eye and strep by Monday.
Sign me up for Mother of the Year.
So Claire is sick. She had a fever for three days and has been laying on the couch for four. She has barley eaten anything and if she opens her mouth and says Ah! you can see her tonsils from across the room. Her glands are so swollen they look like rocks on the side of her neck. I got a little worried. She’s not my whiner so you don’t really think about how bad she must be feeling. But she had Mono when she was almost 5. And after looking up on the internet about reoccurrence of Mono I thought I had better take her. The doctor did not take blood or feel her spleen. She told her to eat oranges and rest for three days.
Two hours for that. Next time I may just stick with WebMD.
I can not tell you how many contests I have entered on blogs to try to win an awesome prize. Bloggy Giveaways and Pioneer Woman and Rocks in My Dryer are just a few places I have entered. And I have never won. Until now!
Sarah over at Shortstop had a contest for a Blurb photo book. I started reading her blog when she had the 12 days of cookies at Christmas. I made several of the recipes and they all turned out great.
She had made a cookbook at Blurb for her sister-in-law for Christmas and it looked awesome. So I entered and I won a photobook! And like a dummy I forgot to go back and check until today. Yeah!
I am a winner. Thanks Blurb and Sarah!
Today is the day we as Americans get to cast our vote for who we think would be best to lead our country. Today, history will be made either way.
Every morning when I get to work I deliver the Wall Street Journal to a co-worker. This morning the Headline was something like ” New challenges for the new President.” They were already setting the scene for failure. And my first thought was “What kind of crazy person wants to be President?”
Seriously. It has to take a special person to believe they can lead the entire country. I respect both of the candidates and their families for the sacrifices they are making for our country. They spend very little time with their spouses. They are attacked by the media. Some are attacked by their own party. How exhausting it must be to be on the road for months shaking all those hands and kissing all those babies.
And yet we complain because we are tired of the ads and the calls and the signs.
So today, I will be part of history and cast my vote. And either way there will be change.
For those of you faithful readers who come to my blog everyday to use my links…thank you. If you are true Daily Castle reader then you may have noticed a different tone in the writing in the last two posts. That’s because my husband hi-jacked my blog. He is so proud of my cheapness that he must show it on the blog world.
And thank you to the three of you that entered the “Guess how much Julie Paid for this” Contest. You all must think I am Wonder woman to get all that for $4.99. I thought $21 was pretty good. Here’s the break down. Or how we like to say it in our house, Break it down.
Jackets – $3.74 each. My girls have been wanting these for months!
Pringles – $0.40 a can.
Skippy Peanut Butter – $0.66 a jar
Smuckers Jelly – $0.77
Two Cans of shaving cream – Free with coupon
At Meijer I used Meijer Mealbox coupons.
Two boxes of elbow macaroni – free
Four other boxes of pasta – I thought these would be free also, but they were not on sale – $0.75 each
Gold Bond powder – free with coupon
Cheezy crunch treats – Free with coupon
Two Bottles of Herbal Essence Shampoo – $2.00
Nicole! Thanks for playing. Johny, tell her what she’s won!
Nicole, we’ve spared every expense (really, it was free) to present to you a brand new 4 oz tube of Colgate Total Advanced Clean Toothpaste…”Whitens teeth with a breakthrough cleaning ingrediant that gently removes surface stains.”
We’ll contact you to get your prize to you. Enjoy!
Thanks to everyone who played. We’ll try it again in a week or so. Stay tuned.
Yesterday was Larry’s birthday and something was missing.
I have not been writing here. I had blog burn out. It was nice to take a little break, but I think I am ready to come back and write all my “secrets.” Several times this last month and a half I have thought to myself “I should write about that on the blog.” But I just couldn’t do it.
But I missed writing Larry his birthday tribute. I missed gushing on about what a great husband and father he is and how much I like him. I missed telling you what a great friend he is and how everyday he amazes me more. I would have told you what a hard worker he is and what geeky thing he has done lately. I could have listed 36 things I love about him or told you what we did for his birthday.
But I did none of those things because I was taking a blog break. But today I have something to say…Happy Birthday to my best friend.
I have a new friend in my life. Someone who is always there for me. Asking me to send gifts and reachout to others. It’s Facebook. I finally sucumbed to the pressure of joining yet another online group. I had to…everyone I know is on Facebook. So I got myself a few friends and caught up with a few old friends too. It’s fun. And addictive.
Some updates that happened over the last month while I have been neglecting the blog because of my new relationship.
1. If you find a few ants in your house, RUN, do not walk to the nearest ACO and buy ant spray. Kill those suckers because they are scouts checking the place out for move in availability. The scouts thought my house was the perfect spot. Hmm, let’s see, three kids who drop lots of crumbs, no pet to endanger us, a working mom with no time to sweep and mop everyday. Perfect!! A few days after we saw the first ants we came home from the Sciene Fair to a perfect black line cross our dining room floor. The black line was hundreds of ants. If I thought six or ten was bad was I in for a treat! Just picture Claire and I screaming and yelling Dad! at the same time. Too bad he wasn’t home and I had to kill them myself. Ick. For about a week we dealt with those pests. They were coming in under the fireplace and setting up shop under our floating laminate floor. Ants like to eat cough drops that children set on the fireplace after they have sucked on it for awhile. Just so you know.
2. Claire and Emma did a great job in the Science Fair. Emma received an honorable mention award and Claire placed in the top three of her class. Third graders are not required to participate in the Science Fair. So there were only three third graders that participated. So what? She went on to the District Fair which was very exciting. She did not receive an award, but she is motivated for next year. Great. Did I tell you how much I love Science Fairs?
3. Spring Break was last week. We went on vacation to Greats Lakes Crossing for a day. We ate at The Rain Forrest Cafe and saw Horton Hears A Who. Next year we are just going to pack up the camping suppies and start driving south until is about 70 degrees and park it for the week. Snow during Spring Break just isn’t right.
4. The Chicken Pox vaccine is stupid. Okay, maybe that is a little harsh. The chicken pox vaccine and I are not friends. All three of my girls got the vaccine when they were two. All three of them came down with a slight case of the chicken pox about three years ago. They had about 10-30 spots. Emma broke out with another case of them last week. She wasn’t really sick so I guess that is a good thing, but she had to still miss a couple of days of school. I’m not sure what is worse, getting a full blown case of the pox and being done with it or wondering if they will just keep on getting a slight case every few years.
5. We finally did our taxes. I like to think it had something to do with me nagging my husband every-single-day since January 31st to do the taxes already, but maybe not. I live with a patient man. We owe $18. Yeah.
Don’t get used to me posting here now. I am in a new relationship and it is in the exciting first stage. When I get tired of him I may be back.